The RYA Competent Crew course teaches the basics of yachting in more depth than the RYA Start Yachting course. Students live aboard the yacht for the duration of the course. This is both a training trip and a holiday in one!
The course is a 5-day trip , all expenses and meals onboard are included in the cost of the course. As cruising is supposed to be a relaxing activity, there is time to take it easy and enjoy the journey with at least one evening meal onshore (not included in price, but it won’t be expensive). Visiting different harbours and anchorages, students will enjoy the delights of spending the night on board and sailing under the stars.
At the completion of the course you will be awarded the RYA Competent Crew course completion certificate.
5 days consecutively
Previous experience required:
- The yacht: basic knowledge of sea terms, parts of a yacht, her rigging and sails
- Helmsmanship and sailing: steer a compass course, steer and set sails on all points of sail
- Sail handling: setting, reefing and use of sheets, halyards and winches.
- Ropework: handling ropes and warps, secure to cleat. Tie key knots
- Fire precautions and fighting, on board alarms.
- Personal safety equipment:: safety harnesses and lifejackets
- Man overboard: actions to recover man overboard
- Emergency equipment and precautions: hazards on board, operation of distress flares, launching and boarding liferaft
- Rules of the road: keeping an efficient lookout
- Manners and customs: flags and burgees, vessel courtesies, protection of the environment
- Dinghy: handling under oars, loading rules
- Meteorology: where to obtain weather forecast
- General duties: daily routine of a vessel
8th to 12th May 2020